Saturday, June 2, 2007

Start at the beginning...

"I get no kick from champagne, mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all..." Frank Sinatra

Having just returned from Argentina, I endeavored to re-create a dish that I had at Dan Perlman's home restaurant he's dubbed Casa Salt Shaker.

It is suppose to be a paprika chicken, but by the time I was done mauling it, it was something completely different.

I started by dicing half an onion, the other half was putrid or something so I tossed it. Dan's recipe called for some garlic and ginger as well and they found their way into the pan. Here's where things started to go a little south. Dan's recipe calls for smoked paprika of which I had none. So I cut off a small slice of Italian sausage and added to the sauteeing onion, garlic and ginger.

After the onion was browned I added in a liberal amount of plain paprika and half that amount of powdered bay leaf. Stir this around so that the onions are coated. I let this stay on the heat for a couple of minutes. By this point I was totally off of Dan's recipe I think. I added about a cup of chicken stock and let that come to a boil.

I did not have any chicken on hand, but I did have a piece of left over pork tenderloin that I had grilled the previous weekend. I cubed that up into about a half inch dice and added into the stock. I let the whole thing simmer for about half an hour, whence it began to emit a very pleasant aroma.

About five minutes before serving I added four dollops of sour cream to the pan and brought the heat up to a boil. Dan's recipe called for corn starch for added thickness, but I rarely use thickening agents that don't add to the overall taste of the dish. I stirred this until it was well incorporated and brought the heat back down to low.

I ladled a couple of bowls full and attempted to garnish with paprika, but since I didn't have the shaker top I tried to do it by hand and it ended up looking like a talcum powder accident. Oh well. It actually turned out to have a very nice flavor. The grilled pork in lieu of the chicken was a good match with the paprika and I think it turned out a little more succulent than the chicken.

The second dish, which actually came before the paprika chicken when we ate with Dan was a mushroom soup.

According to Dan's recipe, I put mushroom stems lemon thyme, and garlic in a pot with water to reduce down. I also added in some fresh oregano just because I needed to use some as it is growing wildly in my herb box.

I did not have a wide assortment of mushrooms only about a 1/2 a container of buttons that needed to be used.

As per Dan, I infused some olive oil with lemon thyme and rosemary. Then I sauteed the mushroom caps, which I had diced, in the infusion.

I let the stems and the herbs boil for about 30 minutes. Then I transferred it to the blender and pulverized it well.

Dan's recipe called for a small round pasta common in Argentina, in lieu of that I used orzo.

I put a cookie cutter in a bowl and filled it with the orzo. I then strained and ladled the mushroom stock from the blender into the bowl while the cutter was still in there. Then I added in some of the sauteed mushrooms around the edges. When I removed the cutter the orzo fell apart and didn't retain it's shape the way Dan's did.


This is Dan's dish. (hope he won't mind me using his pic)

I also added a little chicken stock that I had left over from the pork dish to the mushroom stock. I think it overpowered the mushroom flavor and made it a little too salty. The better half enjoyed it, but I thought it was a little bland. But it was getting kind of late anyway so I wasn't real concerned at that point.

We had a Kendall-Jackson shiraz that was about 12 bucks from Kroger. It was pretty good, with hints of cherry on the finish.

Cooking Music: A friend of mine dropped off a hard drive with an enormous mp3 collection on it. It included over 30 Frank Sinatra albums. So we listened to Frank during the majority of the cooking.

Distractions: The cats knocked the orchid off of the mantel and the pot shattered, think she cares?
Vivi...the likely orchid culprit..















Casa Salt Shaker, Buenos Aires, Argentina


Front left to right: Better Half, Andrea, Rhonda?

Standing left to right: Me, Dan Perlman

2 comments:

SaltShaker said...

Well I have to admit, I'm honored to be a part of your first blog post here! One of the fun things about this whole world is sharing food and experiences and seeing where they lead, and who does what with them.

les said...

Ha! Somehow I knew you would find this, Dan. The saltshaker blog has been a fantastic inspiration. Thanks for dropping by. If I can write a quarter of what you do, I'll be doing good!