Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cast Iron chicken

"Gol-azo! Gol-azo! Gol-azo!" Fernando Fiore- Univision Announcer

Congratulations Argentina! with a 3-0 win over Mexico in the semi finals of the Copa America. Argentina now advances to the championship against Brazil.

I had some left over "drum sticks" from the weekend soirée that needed attending to.

Since it is a rare occasion that I fry anything, I decided to bake the chicken.

I started out with a couple of carrots, a stalk of celery and an onion.

I diced all of the vegetables up fairly coarsely.






I salted and peppered the chicken and sprinkled on some dried thyme.






I browned the chicken a little in a bit of olive oil.








After the chicken browned for about 5 minutes, I removed it to a plate and tossed the onions in the same pan, which by the way is my cast iron skillet. Only because it is oven proof.

After the onion had sauteed for about 5 minutes, I tossed in the carrot and celery and one minced clove of garlic.



I then added the chicken back into the pan and poured in about a cup and a half of chicken stock.
And for good measure, I threw in a bay leaf.
Then it was slammed into a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
After cooling off for a bit I served it over some white rice.
Much like Argentina tonight, it was a winner...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just finished the "Cast Iron Chicken". Your old man liked it a lot. Glad there were just two of us because not a bite was left. Looking for something to do with a pork tenderloin...any ideas? Becky

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.