Saturday, July 14, 2007

Italian Sausage & Chickpea soup

I like to cook soup quite often mainly because it is easy and I am inherently lazy...

I can usually concoct a decent enough soup for supper when there isn't much to work with and I don't feel like leaving the house.

So tonight I found some mild Italian sausage in the frigid box and that was a start.

I also found a red onion, so I diced it up fairly coarsely. I heated some olive oil in a pot and tossed in the onions once the oil was smoking.

I cooked the onions until they were nice and caramelized.

I chopped the sausage into chunks and browned them in the same pot with the onion.

After a couple more minutes I deglazed the pan with a bit of chicken stock. After that I added in the rest of the can. (about 2 cups)

I found about fourteen cans of garbanzo beans in the pantry...(not sure what's going on with that?) So I opened a can, poured off the liquid and dumped the beans into the pot.

I happened to see a glass of water on the counter about half full so I poured that in as well.

After the soup came up to a boil I lowered the heat and let it simmer for about half an hour while I was doing something else.

When I checked back on the soup it looked a little thin, so I dissolved some corn starch in a glass of cold water and poured that in with the soup. Then I raised the heat back up and brought it to a boil for about 5 minutes.

Viola'!

Time to eat...

No comments: